Sunday, July 31, 2011

Day 11 -- Into Tennessee

We decided yesterday to split up... Rachel is going home to Cookeville with her brother, and I'm going to the farm (with Daisy and all the gear).  Then I'll meet her and her family at the ABF terminal in Chattanooga on Monday morning, where we'll transfer our stuff onto her dad's gooseneck trailer, then take it the rest of the way to Young Harris.

I left out about 8am, took I-40 to Memphis, then US 64 to the farm.  Got there around 3pm... turns out I had missed Aunt Sue and Uncle Larry by about 5 minutes (they had stopped in on their way back from vacationing in Destin).

(By the way, Little Rock and the area about 50 miles on each side wins the award for Most Tailgaters, although OK City wins the Worst Drivers award.)

It's nice to be at the farm.  Steve was already here when I got here, and although Mom wasn't going to come down until tomorrow, she couldn't wait so she came down tonight.  Steve brought his dog (named States' Rights).  She and Daisy get along well, once again mostly by avoiding each other.  We took them to the creek, which isn't as low as it normally is in July but is still too dry to really be continuous.  Saw a box turtle... Daisy didn't care but States went nuts after it.  Also saw a snapping turtle that was probably 15" around.  It was at the bottom of a knee-deep pool, motionless among some rocks, so I felt fortunate that I saw it before I stepped on it.  Caught a tiny long-ear sunfish with my little 6' fly rod.  We ate fried catfish that Steve and Dad caught a couple weeks ago, and stargazed til about 1am.

Bug notes:  I just realized that Oregon didn't have wasps... I had totally forgotten about them.  Also, tonight there were about 8 huge sphinx moths around the porch light.  Impressive, and comforting.


Daisy is defiinitely not used to the muggy weather in the South.  She stays inside in the air-conditioning whenever she can.  Hopefully she'll get used to it soon.

Tonig

No comments:

Post a Comment