Sunday, July 31, 2011

Day 12 - At the farm

Yesterday I had wanted to start a project... clearing out a 300+ yard shooting lane to do some real long-distance shooting.  The first step is bushhogging, but it got dark before we got the tractor ready so this morning I woke up around 730 and started tractoratin'.  Cleared a lane up to about 200 yards, and mowed some of the area beyond.  Step 2 was to clear out some tree limbs that were in the way of the really long-distance shots, and Steve and I worked on that together, but it was slow-going because of a) the heat, and b) there was way more stuff in the way than we had thought.  Needless to say, we didn't get it done.  I went back later but some of the limbs were too high to reach even with the pole saw, so the farthest we could shoot was about 215 yards.  Will came down in the afternoon, and the three of us shot.  I had brought 2 exploding targets and Will hit one at 200 yards (with the scoped 30-06) and Steve hit the other at 100 yards with the Mauser (open-sights).  They were impressed by the big booms.  I had already tried to hit them, but I guess I took all my good shots at the beginning because I couldn't hit a damn thing near the end.  Always close, but never a boom.  Guess I'll have to find more of those exploding targets somewhere.

I had meant to reorganize the truck while I was down here, mostly to see if I could find the GPS (which we haven't seen since somewhere around Vegas or Bryce Canyon).  Started working on it around 11pm, and got done around 1am.  Didn't find the GPS, but I did find that the Nalgene bottle of milk that I had in the cooler had gotten hot and had spewed sour milk all in the cooler, so I had to clean that up. 

Tomorrow I will wake up at around 4am to head to Chattanooga, meet Rachel and the in-laws, load our stuff onto their trailer, drive to Blairsville to pick up the house key, drive to the house, check it out, back to Blairsville to sign the lease, then back to the house to unpack.  On 3 hours of sleep, it's gonna be tough.

No comments:

Post a Comment